The IES seeks to improve the lighted environment by bringing together those with lighting knowledge and by translating that knowledge into actions that benefit the public.
The IES will build upon a century of excellence to create the premier lighting community dedicated to promoting the art and science of quality lighting to its members, allied professional organizations, and the public.
The Toronto Section of the Illuminating Engineering Society is a collaborative group of professionals that volunteer their knowledge and time to support and promote the IES Mission and Vision. We are one of the largest and most diverse sections in the IES. Our membership is made up of lighting designers, architects, engineers, sales agents, manufacturers, distributors, contractors, energy management professionals, and educators.
The wealth of knowledge and experience found in our membership inspires us to focus our goals on providing a society that supports growth in knowledge; a society that gives us a place to socialize, share ideas, connect, inspire, recognize industry leaders and innovators; a society that helps emerging professionals find a place where they can be mentored, guided, and belong. We are very fortunate to partner with sponsors who are industry leaders that support many of our initiatives.
At the core of our mission and one of our main initiatives is education. We maintain a calendar that has monthly Technical Luncheons (presented virtually during the pandemic) that encompass a variety of relevant subjects. We encourage you to share topics of interest and participate in discussions that usually erupt after a presentation. Lighting education is an integral part of our DNA, so we offer courses such as the Fundamentals of Lighting Program, an LC Study Group, and the Roadway Lighting Symposium. We are projecting to provide New Post Fundamental Courses, as well as a Controls Symposium. As members you have access to the IES’ monthly webinars, the Indispensable Lighting Series, the Trailblazers and Icons Series, and podcasts. The IES’ new Lighting Library has been launched and is the resource for anyone in lighting. The IES also offer the Ready Reference App is available for anyone wishing to enhance their lighting acumen, and can be downloaded at https://www.ies.org/education/ies-lighting-ready-reference-app/.
We welcome new members and acknowledge those that have supported us for many years. Personal and professional connections are made at our education and social events. We come together as a society to celebrate some of our most innovative bright stars in the Lighting Industry at the iNova Awards and Gala Event, recognizing their work and contributions, showcasing the lighting designs of our Illumination Award Section and Merit Award recipients. We are inspired by lighting installations around the GTA and explore those by meeting for Lightwalks (organized local visits). We play together annually at the IES Golf Tournament. We are constantly exploring new opportunities for getting our members together to exchange ideas.
Our vibrant IES Toronto Section grows through the support of our sponsors and the tireless work of our volunteers on the Board. Special thanks to all of you! We welcome new volunteers to join us, so that we may continue to cultivate new and inspired ideas. It is with continued effort that we provide value to the IES Membership. Please join our mailing list, visit our website, come and participate in our events and discover the many ways IES Toronto connects you to our lighting community.
Stay safe but remain connected!
Eric Teacher LC MIES
IES Toronto Section
Section Officers 2022-2023
- President: Eric Teacher, STL Lighting
- Vice President: Mayu Shan, Liteline Corp.
- Secretary: Linda Conejo, LEDVANCE.
- Treasurer: Mayu Shan, Liteline
- Past President: Joanne Emer, Omnilumen Technical Products
Board of Managers 2022-2023
The Board of Managers is elected to a one-year term in accordance with Section by-laws and IES standards. Elections are held in the spring of each year. If you are interested in joining the board, please contact us.
- Noemi Byrnes, Vaughan Byrnes Engineering.
- Prem Kumar, GE Current.
- Ellen Godson, Lightspec Canada.
- Nasir Hasan, Eaton Lighting.
- Vinod Hukerikar, Stanpro Lighting Systems.
Committee and Program Chairs
- Education: vacant.
- Membership: Jessica Pignataro, Independent Lighting Design.
- Program: Michael Jennison, Omnilumen Technical Products and Alicia Kiedrowski, CSC LED.
- Illumination Awards: Monica Muntean, Crossey Engineering.
- Communications: Bill Qiu, Energy Network Services Inc. and Rini Ngai, Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.
- Public Relations/Social: Stephanie A. Teotico, Influx Lighting.
- Sponsorship: Kristina Zarembo.
- Webmaster: Neil Whiteford, LightSpec Canada.
- Social Media: Monika Kalyani, Acuity Brands Lighting Canada.
- Emerging Professionals: Laura John, Liteline Corp.
- Scholarship: Noemi Byrnes, Vaughan Byrnes Engineering.
- Lightwalk: Jerry Armstrong, Pinpoint Lighting Solutions.
- Industry Liason: Julia Vandergraaf, Alula Lighting.
- Golf: -.